MAPCB will honor any reciprocity requests guaranteed under the ICRC. We only offer a "level two" addictions professional certificate; we have no master's level. There is only a single reciprocal level for the peer recovery specialist.

Please be aware that the state of Maryland has a requirement mandating any substance abuse counselor who desires to practice in Maryland to have a non-reciprocal certificate or license given by them. This may mean, in some cases, that were you a licensed addictions professional in your home state, but without a qualifying master's degree, you would not be allowed to be licensed here. Also, if you are lacking some education requirements for the Maryland state certificate, you may have to start working with a trainee or supervised status until you are able to matriculate to an associate status or above. This requirement does not apply to peer recovery specialists.

Maryland does accept the ICRC written test for less than a master's level certificate. For further information, please see the following link:

If you are already certified at the State level but desire a credential that allows you to work in other states without further testing, or you just want the prestige that an international credential brings, then you may want to obtain the MAPCB credential. If you have taken the ICRC written test, then you want to apply for the MAPCB/ICRC credential. This is an internationally-recognized credential that is valid anywhere you go. Contact the Board today for more information on how to obtain this credential.

Addiction professionals and peer recovery specialists certified by MAPCB who relocate to another state, country, or nation may transfer their credential to the new jurisdiction using the reciprocity process only if the new jurisdiction is an ICRC member board board with like credentials. Reciprocity to a non-ICRC member board is not permitted. Additional requirements may be imposed upon the certified professional or specialist (as is in Maryland) depending on the laws and regulations governing the practice of behavioral health related services in the new jurisdiction. Therefore, certified addiction professionals and peer recovery specialists are strongly encouraged to contact the ICRC member board in the new jurisdiction to determine if any additional requirements must be met.

To begin the reciprocity process, certified addiction professionals and peer recovery specialists must contact MAPCB and request a reciprocity application. Upon completion of the reciprocity application by both the certified person and MAPCB and upon receipt by the certification board in the new jurisdiction, that board will then issue the applicant the equivalent credential offered unless laws or regulations governing the practice of behavioral health related services in the new jurisdiction must first be met.