This classification is viewed as the title for the peer recovery specialist’s supervisor. The supervisor may or may not have a personal lived experience, but is familiar with the peer recovery specialist’s job tasks and requirements. This is a non-reciprocal credential offered at the state level.
There are certain knowledge areas and skills that are required to provide effective peer supervisor services to workers helping individuals living with behavioral health disorders. Registered Peer Supervisors must demonstrate the ability to provide effective supervision and model behavior and ethics for the peer recovery specialist. In addition, Registered Peer Supervisors must provide supervision within their area of expertise, yet be knowledgeable of the integrated services provided by the behavioral health systems.
The individual who is eligible to sign off on the Peer supervision hours must hold an MABPCB Registered Peer Supervisor (RPS) Status. The individuals eligible to obtain an RPS status are as follows:
MUST MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
- One must have one (1) year experience supervising Peer Recovery Specialist in the behavioral health, recovery and/or crisis support field, or;
- One must be a MABPCB Certified Peer Recovery Specialist (CPRS) for one year, AND have documentation of a Lead Peer role or direct supervision of Peer Recovery Specialists for six (6) months within your organization AND reflective in your current organization’s job description AND a letter of support from your current supervisor or;
- Administrative/Clinical must have six (6) months in a supervisory position in the behavioral health field
- Must complete the six (6) hour “Supervising Peers” training
- An RPS must take a “Supervising Peers” refresher course every two year
It is suggested that individual or group peer supervision be provided bi-weekly
As a Registered Peer Supervisor, you are required to document all supervision hours of each Peer Recovery Specialist being supervised under your guidance. This document is to support this effort. You may use this document for this purpose or you can create a replica for your individual agencies to track all supervision sessions.